Skip to main content

7 Foods I Never Eat To Avoid Tinnitus Flare-Ups




Living with tinnitus can be challenging, to say the least. That persistent ringing, buzzing, or whooshing in your ears can drive you to distraction and make it difficult to concentrate or relax. 

As someone who's dealt with tinnitus for years, I've learned that managing this condition often comes down to the little things - including what I put on my plate.

Through trial and error, I've identified several foods that tend to trigger or worsen my tinnitus symptoms. While everyone's experience with tinnitus is unique, I hope sharing my personal "no-go" list might help others who are struggling to manage their symptoms. Here are the seven foods I never eat to avoid tinnitus flare-ups:

1. Caffeine

I know, I know - for many of us, the thought of giving up that morning cup of coffee is nothing short of heresy. Trust me, I've been there. But caffeine is a stimulant that can increase blood pressure and stress levels, both of which can exacerbate tinnitus symptoms.

When I first cut caffeine from my diet, the withdrawal headaches were brutal. But after a few weeks, I noticed a significant reduction in the intensity of my tinnitus. These days, I stick to herbal teas or decaf options. It was a tough adjustment, but the improvement in my symptoms made it worthwhile.

2. Alcohol

This one was another hard pill to swallow (no pun intended). I used to enjoy unwinding with a glass of wine in the evening, but I noticed that my tinnitus would often worsen during the night after drinking.

Alcohol can dilate blood vessels in the inner ear, potentially increasing tinnitus symptoms. It can also lead to dehydration, which is another potential trigger. Now, on the rare occasions when I do indulge, I make sure to drink plenty of water and limit myself to one drink.

3. High-sodium foods

Excess sodium can lead to increased blood pressure, which can, in turn, aggravate tinnitus. I've found that my symptoms tend to flare up after consuming salty snacks, canned soups, or restaurant meals heavy on the salt.

Cutting back on sodium hasn't been easy - it seems to be in everything! - but I've learned to read labels carefully and cook more meals at home where I can control the salt content. My taste buds have adjusted, and I've discovered that many foods have delicious natural flavors when they're not overshadowed by salt.

4. Artificial sweeteners

This one came as a surprise to me. I thought I was doing the right thing by switching to diet sodas and sugar-free desserts, but my tinnitus had other ideas. Some studies suggest that artificial sweeteners, particularly aspartame, may be linked to tinnitus in some individuals.

After eliminating artificial sweeteners from my diet, I noticed a gradual improvement in my symptoms. Now, if I want something sweet, I opt for natural options like fruit or a small amount of honey.

5. MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)

MSG is a flavor enhancer commonly found in Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups, and processed meats. For me, consuming foods with MSG often leads to a noticeable increase in the volume and intensity of my tinnitus.

Avoiding MSG requires vigilance - it's often hidden in ingredient lists under names like "hydrolyzed protein" or "autolyzed yeast." I've learned to cook more Asian-inspired dishes at home, where I can control the ingredients and skip the MSG entirely.

6. Processed meats

Hotdogs, bacon, salami - these used to be staples in my diet. However, I've found that the high salt content and preservatives in processed meats tend to trigger my tinnitus. Many processed meats also contain nitrates and MSG, which can be problematic for some tinnitus sufferers.

Giving up my beloved bacon was tough, but I've discovered some great alternatives. I now opt for fresh, unprocessed meats and have even experimented with plant-based options. My tinnitus (and probably my overall health) is better for it.

7. Certain cheeses

This one breaks my cheese-loving heart, but I've noticed that certain aged cheeses seem to worsen my tinnitus. Cheeses like parmesan, aged cheddar, and blue cheese contain a compound called tyramine, which may trigger tinnitus in some people.

I haven't given up cheese entirely (I don't think I could!), but I'm more mindful about the types and quantities I consume. Fresh cheeses like mozzarella or ricotta seem to be okay for me in moderation.

Now, I want to emphasize that these are my personal triggers. Tinnitus is a complex condition, and what exacerbates symptoms for one person may have no effect on another. It's essential to work with your healthcare provider and potentially keep a food diary to identify your own triggers.

Also, it's important to maintain perspective. While diet can play a role in managing tinnitus, it's just one piece of the puzzle. Stress management, good sleep hygiene, and protecting your hearing are all crucial components of a comprehensive tinnitus management plan.

Changing your diet can be really hard, especially when it means giving up foods you love. There were times when I felt frustrated and deprived. But over time, I've come to see these dietary changes not as restrictions, but as choices I'm making to improve my quality of life.

I've discovered new foods, learned to cook in different ways, and generally feel healthier overall. More importantly, by avoiding these trigger foods, I've gained a measure of control over my tinnitus. The ringing is still there, but it's often quieter and less intrusive.

If you're struggling with tinnitus, I encourage you to pay attention to how different foods affect your symptoms. Keep a food diary, be patient with yourself, and don't be afraid to seek support. Remember, you're not alone in this journey. Millions of us are learning to live with tinnitus, one day - and one meal - at a time.

Living with tinnitus isn't easy, but small changes can make a big difference. By being mindful of what we eat, we can potentially reduce our symptoms and improve our overall quality of life. Here's to quieter days ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Allergies Cause Tinnitus?

The short answer is: Yes, allergies can cause tinnitus. Hearing loss, too.  Allergy-related tinnitus is typically due to the congestion that allergies cause. Anything from allergic rhinitis (hay fever) to sinus infections increases the risk of developing tinnitus.  Basically anything that affects the nasal and sinus passages can lead to tinnitus. That's because when allergies affect the nasal passages and sinuses, they can cause inflammation and swelling, leading to congestion and pressure changes in the ear. This pressure change can lead to tinnitus. Allergy meds can be a problem too Tinnitus can also be a side effect of certain medications used to treat allergies, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like aspirin. These medications can potentially cause tinnitus as a side effect, especially when taken in high doses. Other causes of tinnitus In addition to allergies, there are several other causes of tinnitus. In some cases, tinnitus can be a symptom of an underl

Medications Can Worsen Tinnitus Symptoms

Some common medications can actually heighten the ringing and whistling noises in your head and ears.  Tinnitus sufferers have found this out to their dismay, and warn others to be wary of large dosages (in excess of 600 mg) of Ibuprofen, for instance, and even to be careful when taking aspirin.  In fact, there are people who insist that certain medications don't just make the condition worse, but can actually cause tinnitus. If you have tinnitus and are also taking antibiotics or other medications (even over-the-counter meds) for any medical condition -- running the gamut from arthritis to clinical depression (Prozac's frequently cited) -- let your doctor know. You should also monitor yourself with a daily record of medicines taken and tinnitus levels. You might be surprised to learn that some items known to worsen tinnitus include toothpastes (especially for sensitive gums), antacid tablets, Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate and Pepcid. Click here for a comprehensive list o

Try Saline When Your Hearing Is Muffled After Loud Noise Exposure

If you've got temporary hearing loss or tinnitus after being at a loud concert or sports event, you may be able to fix it -- if you act fast. A 2021 Keck Medicine of USC study published in Science Daily  has found that the nerve damage to the inner ear caused by loud noises is basically a build up of fluids. Treating that "fluid buildup with a readily available saline solution lessened nerve damage in the inner ear." A previous study by the same otolaryngologist showed that inner ear fluid level is not affected until noises reach 100 decibels, which is how loud a motorcycle is.  "When researchers applied hypertonic saline, a salt-based solution used to treat nasal congestions in humans, into affected ears one hour after the noise exposure, both the immediate fluid buildup and the long-term nerve damage lessened, implying that the hearing loss could be at least partially prevented." The benefits of this knowledge are twofold: 1. If fluid buildup can be measured,